Prostatic Biopsy consists in the removal of tissue fragments with the aim of excluding the presence of prostate cancer. This examination is performed by transrectal puncture during transrectal prostate ultrasound.
The method involves the need to practice multiple punctures at the same time (at least 10 to 12 wtihdrawings) in order to have a significant sampling for histological examination. Prostate biopsy is preceded by the execution of a local anesthesia in order to reduce the patient’s discomfort, which in most cases is confined to sensation of the probe in the rectum.
In order to be able to undergo the examination, the Patient will have to comply with the following rules:
1. Show the results of the following laboratory analyzes:
- Coagulation Examination (PT, PTT, INR)
- If the patient is taking antiplatelet (e.g. aspirin, tiklide) or oral anticoagulants (e.g. coumadin), the doctor will need to substitute with calciparine or fraxiparine at least 2 weeks before the examination.
2. Practice an oral antibiotic therapy (e.g. chinolone) from the day before and continue for three consecutive days
The procedure is performed as outpatient.
The patient should have two prescriptions from his / her treating physician:
- for ultrasound-guided transrectal prostate biopsy
- for histological examination of prostate biopsy
The possible complications of prostate biopsy are:
- Sepsis urinary
- Hematuria and / or rectal bleeding (the presence of a small amount of blood in the urine, feces and semen in the next few days or more rarely in the weeks following the examination is to be considered normal and is therefore not considered a complication).
In the case of substantial blood loss through urine or rectal canal, urinary retention or high fever, the patient must contact the Emergency Room.
After 10-15 days of the procedure, the patient will have to contact this Department by telephone (050.993000 – 050.992413) in order to verify the availability of the histological response. The patient will then be summoned for the collection of the results.